You will find details of UPCEA at the University Professional and Continuing Education Association website at https://upcea.edu. The website is owned and operated by UPCEA. UPCEA is incorporated in the District of Columbia and its registered office is located at One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 615 Washington, DC 20036.
In this policy we refer to UPCEA as “we,” “us” or “our.”
For purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679)(the “GDPR”), the Data Controller is the University Professional and Continuing Education Association, which is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit association incorporated in the District of Columbia and has its principal business address at One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 615, Washington, D.C. 20036 in the United States.
Our Commitment to Online Privacy
Thank you for using the website of the University Professional and Continuing Education Association (UPCEA).
UPCEA is committed to protecting your online privacy, and this notice explains UPCEA's online information practices and how your information is collected and used. So that this notice is easy to find, it is available to all visitors to the UPCEA home page, as well as most web pages on the UPCEA website.
The details of this privacy notice are shared with all UPCEA employees in order to protect the confidentiality of your personal information.
We may use this information for system maintenance and to better understand how our visitors use our site and services so that we can make them better. UPCEA may also share cookie information with third parties for marketing or research purposes on behalf of UPCEA.
You can typically remove and reject cookies from our Site with your browser settings. Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how our Site works for you.
Restricted Access Web Pages
Some areas of this website are restricted to UPCEA members. These areas require users to log in using company name and member ID or password. It is used to verify that a person is authorized to use a particular website resource.
Personal Visitor Information
We collect the personal information that you may volunteer while using the electronic services on the UPCEA website, such as completing an online meeting or conference registration form, completing an electronic survey or other form, or sending us email. We may disclose your personal data to our subsidiaries or other organizations especially as required by law, as outlined in this document, or in situations involving threats to the physical safety of any person.
What Information Does UPCEA collect?
Most of the information we use is provided directly by you. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Contact information: information such as name, job title, company or institutional name, department, email address, physical address and telephone numbers;
- Professional information: such as your employment background, job description and related information;
- Transaction information: your contact information, the services or products you are interested in, your purchasing requirements, your financial information, including credit card or other payment information;
- Responses to surveys: information you may provide in response to a survey on our websites, via an app or email, on the telephone or otherwise;
Consent to Use Personal Information
For the purposes of the GDPR and Data Protection Act(s) of 1984 and 1998 (as applicable), UPCEA and its authorized agent/vendor must store, host and otherwise process the information (including personal data) supplied by the website user when registering for this website. UPCEA may send such data outside of the European Economic Area for processing. Utilization of UPCEA services grants UPCEA or its designated agent/vendor consent to send the user unsolicited direct mail advertisements, email messages, promotions, and solicitations for third parties’ products and services.
Credit Card Account Information
UPCEA does not disclose credit card account information provided by its members or non-member customers, nor does it retain this data on any of its own servers. When members or non-member customers choose to pay using their credit cards, UPCEA submits the information needed to obtain payment to the appropriate clearing house.
How We Use Information
Our primary purpose in collecting your personal information is to provide you with the services you requested and those which we believe will optimize your membership and/or use of the website. We use the information you provide about yourself when using our online services (e.g. meeting registrations, etc.) to complete the specific service transaction. For meeting registrations, a list of attendee names, titles, institutions and addresses is made available to meeting attendees, sponsors, and exhibitors; no other information is shared with outside parties except to the extent necessary to conduct relevant business or as required by law
For e-mail correspondence not collected via online services on our website, we routinely use the return e-mail addresses to answer the e-mail we receive.
We may use your personal information as follows:
- We use your personal information to operate, maintain, and improve our sites, products, and member services.
- We use your personal information to process and deliver contest entries and rewards.
- We use your personal information to respond to comments and questions and provide services to our members and those non-members submitting comments and questions or requests for services or products.
- We use your personal information to send information including confirmations, invoices, important notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- We use your personal information to communicate about promotions, upcoming events, and other news about products and services offered by us and our selected partners.
- We use your personal information to link or combine user information with other personal information.
- We use your personal information to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
- We use your personal information to provide and deliver products and services requested by you and by members and non-members alike.
- We may use your personal information to keep track of the areas of our website you visit, the amount of time you spend and the date and time you access our website, all for the purpose of enabling UPCEA to tailor the website to better serve your interests and preferences.
- We may use your personal information to manage our relationship with you and to carry out any related administration.
- We may use your personal information to compare information for accuracy, and to verify it with third parties.
Sharing of Personal Information
We may share personal information as follows:
- We may share personal information in the course of negotiating and/or executing partnerships or other agreements that may involve the sale or transfer of assets, including intellectual property. These agreements can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
- We may share personal information for legal, protection, and safety purposes.
- We may share information to comply with laws.
- We may share information to respond to lawful requests and legal processes.
- We may share information in an emergency. This includes protecting the safety of our employees and agents, our members, or any person.
- We may share information with vendors that provide goods and services to UPCEA and its members. Examples include out hosting web servers, analyzing data, providing marketing and membership related services. These companies have access to your information as necessary to perform their respective and agreed upon services, but they may not use your information for any other purpose.
- We may also share aggregated and/or anonymized data with others for their own uses.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We will retain your personal information only as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this policy, or as is required by applicable law, and then we will delete it.
How to Opt Out of Communication with UPCEA
Our marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out.” If you opt out, we may still send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about your membership and membership status, your accounts, information about and invitations to conferences or events and our prior business dealings with you.
If you would like to discontinue all communications from UPCEA, you may contact UPCEA directly at 202-659-3130 and request to speak to the Communications Department, or email us at email@example.com setting forth your preference, or you may change your preferences via any email communications we send or from your member profile in the UPCEA member portal.
In compliance with the CAN-SPAM Act, GDPR and CASL, all email set from UPCEA from our organization will clearly state who the email is from and provide clear information on how to contact the sender. In addition, all email messages will also contain concise information on how to remove yourself from our mailing list so that you receive no further email communications from us.
We are committed to keeping your information confidential. We do not sell, rent or lease our membership or subscriber lists to any third parties, and we will not provide your personal information to any third-party individual, government agency or company at any time unless compelled to do so by law. We will use your email address solely to provide timely information about UPCEA and which is relevant to its programs, events and services.
Our Commitment to Data Security
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
Information obtained via online registration forms is encrypted, using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology. An SSL connection ensures privacy, authentication, and message integrity.
URLs beginning with "https://" indicate that an SSL connection is being used.
Your personal data is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another country or jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your personal data is submitted through the UPCEA website, it will be transferred to our servers in the United States and that the United States does not have uniform data protection laws in place.
When you become a UPCEA member you agree that we may transfer your personal data to countries outside of the United States and European Economic Area. We will put in place appropriate security measures to safeguard your personal data when any such transfer is made. If we transfer your personal data outside your country, we will take steps to ensure your privacy rights continue to be protected in compliance with applicable data protection laws and this policy.
Material Submitted Online
Some areas of the UPCEA website allow you to submit questions or express your opinions. All submissions become the property of UPCEA and UPCEA disclaims any and all liability for and is not responsible for any materials, statements or opinions posted or expressed by other parties. By sharing your statements or opinions you grant UPCEA permission to use your statements in promotional materials in an anonymized way. In the case of using your name with the statement, UPCEA will reach out to confirm the use of such statements and the purposes in which they will be used. UPCEA has a policy in place that applies to the use of UPCEA online forums or discussion groups. Please review the same carefully before participating.
You may access, download and print materials on this website for your personal and non-commercial use. You are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, transmitting, displaying, publishing, licensing, creating derivative works from, or selling any software, products or services obtained from this website without first obtaining the written consent from an authorized representative of UPCEA. Furthermore, you may not use the materials or content found on the UPCEA website on any other websites or in a networked environment without first obtaining the written permission of UPCEA.
All materials on this website (as well as the organization and layout of the site) are owned and copyrighted by the University Professional & Continuing Education Association. © Copyright, University Professional & Continuing Education Association (UPCEA). All Rights Reserved. No reproduction, distribution or transmission of the copyrighted materials or content on this site is permitted without the prior written consent of UPCEA.
Links to Other Websites
How You Can Review or Correct Your Information
You can contact UPCEA at 202-659-3130, firstname.lastname@example.org, or at the following address to ask if we are keeping personal data about you:
UPCEA, One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 615 Washington, DC 20036
Attention: Communications Department
If we do have personal data about you, we will provide you with a readable copy of your data, and we will provide the information without any charge. We do not make this information available through our website.
Factual errors in your personally identifiable information, including out-of-date information, can be corrected by sending us a request that credibly shows that error.
And, to protect your privacy and security, we also will take commercially reasonable steps to verify your identify before making corrections or releasing your information for review.
Please do not communicate with or contact us if you are under age 13.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Because privacy laws both within the United States and overseas are in a state of flux and subject to change, UPCEA reserves the right to change this privacy notice without notice to you, effective when it is re-posted to the UPCEA website. When changes are made to this privacy notice, UPCEA will not reduce its scope. UPCEA makes no representations that the materials, information or content available on or through this website are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where such materials, information or content are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this website from other locations do so at their own volition and are solely responsible for compliance with applicable laws.
Questions or Comments about this Privacy Notice
If you have additional questions or concerns about this privacy notice, including implementation and administration, please call us at 202-659-3130 or submit your question or comment(s) via email us at email@example.com.
Updated February 4, 2019.