For the fall 2014 quarter, the University of California, Irvine Extension is launching a new Strategic Leadership Development Certificate Program for professionals seeking leadership skills essential to being an effective executive, manager, supervisor, or team member in any field or industry. This program is offered in a new delivery format, Direct Assessment, which places emphasis on the quality of work done on multiple online projects. UC Irvine Extension sets the precedent for being one of the first institutions to utilize this format in continuing education. Rather than spending time inside the classroom taking courses, participants will be completing five Learning Projects and collaborating with mentors on an as needed basis.
“The new Strategic Leadership Development Certificate Program is an innovative approach to learning as it allows professionals to expand their skill set at their own pace. Through our Direct Assessment method, participants have the ability to earn a certificate in as little as one quarter,” said Tom Pokladowski, director of law & finance programs at UC Irvine Extension. “This program is unique because it was designed for those who want to learn new leadership skills and those who want credit for demonstrating competency at leadership skills they’ve already acquired.”
The curriculum includes the following five learning project topics:
- Principles of Leadership – Participants will examine the elements of leadership that have proven effective across roles and industries, and learn to define the difference between management and leadership.
- Creating the Strategic Vision – Material will focus on the difference between a vision, mission and strategy, and participants will learn about critical thinking and idea generation to support goal setting.
- Influencing Others – In order for leaders to effectively communicate with other leaders, colleagues, and partners, they must learn multiple ways to communicate and persuade others as well as understand the concepts of influence and problem solving.
- Leading Others – Participants will gain insight into different ways to motivate and support a team, and learn the difference between intelligence and emotional intelligence.
- Delivering Results – Organizational and operational skills, implementation plan elements, and the importance of accountability are all essential components that will assist leaders in achieving their desired results.
Each topic serves as a Learning Project that will help participants establish key leadership dimensions, create new ideas, and think strategically. For every Learning Project, participants will analyze a case study or use their own employment history as the backdrop to examine essential learning questions.
A certificate is awarded upon completion of the five required Learning Projects with a grade of “C” or better. Participants will have 90 days from the date of enrollment to submit a Learning Project for evaluation; all requirements must be completed within five years after the student enrolls in his/her first Learning Project.
Enrollment for this certificate program is now available. To learn more about the Strategic Leadership Development Certificate Program or to register, visit http://extension.uci.edu/sld.
About UC Irvine Extension: University of California, Irvine Extension is the continuing education arm of UC Irvine, serving nearly 40,000 students globally and offering more than 3,200 classes annually on the UC Irvine campus, online and at employer sites throughout California and worldwide. Since 1962, UC Irvine Extension has served Orange County with programs and classes to help adult learners reach their career advancement and personal enrichment goals, and remains dedicated to providing broad access to the resources of the University for the benefit of the public, both through University Extension certificate and specialized studies programs and a broad range of free and open educational resources including UC Irvine OpenCourseWare. Learn more at http://extension.uci.edu, or join us on YouTube or Facebook.
About the University of California, Irvine: Founded in 1965, UC Irvine is a top-ranked university dedicated to research, scholarship and community service. Led by Chancellor Michael Drake since 2005, UC Irvine is among the most dynamic campuses in the University of California system, with nearly 28,000 undergraduate and graduate students, 1,100 faculty and 9,000 staff. Orange County’s largest employer, UC Irvine contributes an annual economic impact of $4.2 billion. For more UC Irvine news, visit today.uci.edu.